Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Guess I'm doing something right

My mother reads a lot, and talks to a lot of fellow OCD readers, and some authors. She's become friendly with some of them online, and one of them actually wrote a book, and has a rock band. Of course, I heard rock band and told her to send him my way. She didn't put me in contact with him directly, but she sent him to Immortal Music and Music = Life. He informed my mother last night in an email that he has released the album for the rock opera he's been working on, and enclosed a link. I will be reviewing it for him, but he also made a comment about my work that both excited and confused me.

               He told my mother that he thinks I'd be a good "marketing mogul." I said that was cool, but didn't quite know what it meant. Like every other person of our generation, I Googled it. Just through what I can find on Wikipedia, I think it means I'm a good sales person. Like, I can come up with something good, work hard on it, get people interested in it, and I get the people to like me so they contiune checking back. So basically, I think he just said that I'm already getting to a good start with what I want to do.

      I want to be a music jouranlist. That's no secret, I share that with the world, both online and offline. You do have to work very hard, and its all about the bands and appealing to those fans. You appeal to them, and somewhere along the line, you recieve a fanbase of your own. I know I already have a fan base, and I am not talking about the amount of 'likes' on the Facebook page. That means nothing, since I do not have 720 people commenting on everything I post. That just means 720 people have pressed a button on a page, that does not make them fans.

   Off the top of my head, I can name off about five or six people that are 'fans'. One of them being my "manager", and he's actually the only "fan" that I have that is known in person. I've only had two people tell me they're a fan of mine, but I can tell I have others. They may not be fans of Immortal Music, but they're fans of me.

        I'm going to be honest with you guys, I actually put more into the Facebook page than I do on my own profile. I hardly ever post on my profile, all I do is IM people, like things, and play games. I don't post constantly, and only once a month or so, do I post any pictures. Ever since the page started getting active, I've actually looked forward to seeing every single day who says what.

Our parents probably think its completely stupid that we spend hours a day on the computer, doing nothing but sitting on Facebook and watching YouTube videos. I admit, sometimes it is totally pointless, but other times its not. With the internet today, you can learn so much with just a click of the mouse, or make friends with someone half way across the world. Thirty years ago, you could do that, but it was through snail mail, and you'd probably only hear back from them once or twice a month because the mail is so slow.

        Music = Life came a full year before Immortal Music, just because I wanted a page where I could talk to people about music. It honestly didn't work for a very long time, I almost deleted the page several times because nobody was on it. I had less than 100 people for probably the first six months I had the damn page, and 40 of them were my friends. Only two or three of my friends actually care about what I do, the rest just ignore it and go, "Oh, that's nice." from time to time when I talk to them about this stuff.

              I love the fanbase I'm building, and the people the bring in. We all hear people say, "I love my fans!", and people tend to just assume they like the attention. I'm beginning to see that is not true, or at least for me it isn't. I love the fans I've recieved, because they have similar interests to myself. I can talk to several of the people on the page about random things, even off-topic things that make no sense to the original subject. I consider some of them to be friends.

  Today I am proud of myself. :) I like this feeling a lot. Thank you so much, guys!

      

No comments:

Post a Comment