Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Random topic #1: Bullying and homophobes

  Before I begin on today's topic, I want to explain something real quick. As you all know, I post random blogs a lot. So, you may be wondering, "Ariel, why are you just now starting to say 'random topic'? They're all random." Well, the reason for that is, I really want to start writing something that matters to other people on this blog. Most of the things I post are just random things I thought of, but they probably don't really matter to anyone. I'm still going to have those a lot too, as I have no life and spend the majority of my day on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, all while listening to music.

         I started thinking what if I took suggestions daily and wrote about it. Giving my opinuon and things like that. I made a comment to a fan (who'll remain nameless as I don't want to give her name away on the web...and I can't spell her name), that I wanted to begin doing this. She agreed that it was a good idea, so I asked her for some suggestions. Her suggestion was bullying and homophobes.

       I feel the two can go hand in hand. I've seen a lot of gays, lesbians and bisexual people get picked on and shunned just for that alone. Its ridiculous if you ask me! To me, its no different than if someone likes chocolate cake or not. Its a preference, it doesn't effect you! Someone's sexuality doesn't effect you one bit, so why be afraid of it? I've personally never understood why people are afraid of gays. They're just like everyone else, just they happen to like the same sex. Its no big deal!

          I am personally straight, but I support them whole heartly, as I've noticed sometimes they're the nicest people. Same thing goes for those who've been bullied. I myself was bullied some, but I watched my brother get picked on and beat up all through elementary school. He and I actually were pulled out of school in the middle of fifth grade to be homeschooled because the bullies were so bad. I had a girl "befriend" me, and then threatened to kill me after turning all but one person in my class against me for no reason other than I wasn't allowed to sing some stupid Britney Spears song in the school's talent show. My brother had a bigger problem, he was always picked on, and he had been called a piece of shit in class by a ten year old and then he got into trouble for getting upset.

       I also remember when we were in third grade or so this kid was litterally beating up my brother. I've always been a small kid, always was the smallest in my grade, but I remember walking right up to this kid and yelling at him to leave my brother alone. Surprisingly, he did leave him alone, and I don't think he ever bothered him again after that.

         That's really what it takes. Not all bullies will stop if just one person stands up to them, but teachers and parents really aren't lyin to you when they say there's power in numbers. If you know someone that's being bullied, don't just be a shoulder for them to cry on. Actually have their back, quite litterally have their back. Stick near them in the hallways at school, and if someone comes up to them and starts talking shit to them, just stand up and tell them off. Its dangerous, yes, but most of the time, they back off.

     Bullies tend to be the ones with really horrible lives themselves, and instead of being the quiet kid in the back of the room who avoids talking to people because they don't want to be a bother, they react by taking it out on the world. I get that they're angry, but they need to realize that making other people miserable is not going to help them in the long run.

            Bullying is a serious problem, and while it does get better, some kids never get to see that. Sometimes someone gets picked on so much that they can not longer see the good in anything, and just want life to end. Some of them actually suceed. That's not right, and I honestly feel like the bullies don't even care. They should because I feel that's sort of murder since they were the ones who pushed them to it. Its just horrible!

         I like what Nickelback said best, "If everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died." Its true! Basically all that is saying is if everyone was honest with one another and actually cared about people the world would be a better place.

  Also, if you are the one being bullied, please talk to your friends, your family, anyone, and ignore what they're saying because clearly they don't have lives of their own, or the brains to know better.

       Another thing too, before I wrap this up. If you don't feel comfortable talking to someone in person, you can call hotlines, or just post a message to the Music = Life wall. I try my hardest to help people in any way I can, and if you need help, I want you to know you can come to me, even though you don't know me. I won't judge or anything like that, I'll just give you some of my advice, if you wanted it of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment