Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Songs to listen to while in church

I saw a hashtag thing that said, "#SongsToListenToInChurch" or something close to it, thanks to Bryan Stars and had to share it. If you do not know what a 'hashtag' is, not only is it a funny word, but it is commonly used on Twitter for...well, I don't really know why, they just are. Now where I found this was on Facebook, I have not signed into Twitter yet, but knowing Bryan Stars, its probably posted on there as well. He posted a few good ones like, "Love Like Woe" by The Ready Set, and "God Bless You" by Black Veil Brides, but now, I wanna do some of my own.

           I've actually thought about this several times because I actually really dislike going to church. I find it to be boring, and sometimes down right annoying. Not to mention, the music they generally play is all this old, Christian-y, annoying songs that all basically just say "Praise the Lord." I tend to be the one sitting there thinking, "Ok, why can't you play something good? You can keep it Christian, but play somg Flyleaf, Skillet, or Underoath, Something that is techincally 'Christian' music, but its not so damn obvious." Some of the songs I have listed below fit, and others do not at all. Check it out.

Note: Some songs actually have explainations, just because. You will probably see a pattern, for the most part. The majority of the songs I have chosen have "an "empowering" feel to them.

Songs To Listen To While In Church:
"Time For Me To Fly" -The Jonas Brothers (first verison, or second verison works.)
"When You Look Me In The Eyes" -Jonas Brothers (The reason for this is because, while it is a love song, I have often wondered if it was actually written to be a religous song, since it was written by Nick Jonas as an eleven year old boy, with the assistance of his father. No eleven year old, even with help, would not be able to have the life experience to write such a beautiful love song. At 11, generally the closest to 'love' you get, is a really strong crush.)
"New Religion" -Black Veil Brides (Well, this one is probably not a good idea, but it'd amuse me if it was played in a church. I get the feeling that its anti religon, partly due to Andy's little speech at the end:
 "We are the unholy,
We are the bastard sons of your media culture.
Our minds, and eyes, and bodies were born of your exclusion
An illusion you hide behind

You don't love a God, you love your comfort!
To you we are filth, we are dirty, so be it.
We are dirty and unclean, a congregation of the unseen

Together we will set this world on fire!

This is the new religion,
Amen!"
 Its probably my favorite part of the song, for a few reasons. Mostly being, I agree with the part  that says, "You don't love a God, you love your comfort. To you we are filth, we are dirty, so be it. We are dirty, and unclean, a congregation of the unseen." I feel a lot of Christians look down on anyone who doesn't fully believe in their God. Not nessicarily a God, their particular one. I feel that's not right, and when I'm totally honest, I'm not certain I believe in any kind of a God. I've said this before, but musicians are my Gods, concerts are my church and music is my religion.

   Anyways, back on topic, and off of my explaination of why I dislike religion.

"I will Be There" -Art Of Dying
People are always saying, "God will be there for yo in your worst moments.", and this song says, "I will be there, when nothing works, and no one cares." So it feels fitting.

"Breathe Again." -Art of Dying
'God' is supposed to make you feel enlightened and all that shit, and this song says, "I don't know how, I don't know how, I don't know when, but I can finally breathe again." I've heard some Christians say feeling enlightened by God is like being able to breathe easier. I don't understand it, but this song really does make sense.

"Best I Can" -Art Of Dying
If all this Christian music made me feel better like its "supposed" to, maybe I'd actually like it more. This one is perfect because I feel it could touch the hearts of everyone. It has so many lines I feel everyone could relate to, "Tonight I feel like the world won't miss me, so much to say, but there's no one listening. If we're alone, are we all together in that?","I am doing the best I can, with everything I am. Don't you know nobody's perfect? Do you understand how hard I'm trying to do the best I can?" There's so much more, but I don't feel like quoting the entire song.

"Get Thru This" -Art Of Dying
It simply says, "If I can get through this, I can get through anything." I feel it'll give you more strength then, "So I lift my hands up and pray." I have no idea what song says that, I heard it in A Walk To Remember.

"Go" -Boys Like Girls
This song feels empowering to me, just because it encourages people to get up and go and move on from what's been holding them back. "Get up and go, take a chance and be strong or you could spend your whole life holding on. Dont' look back just go, take a breath, move along. Or you could spend your whole life holding omn. You could spend your whole life holding on." Its sort of obvious while I feel this should be played in church.

"Hero/ Heroine" -Boys Like Girls
It sounds like a 'typical' religion song, when I actually feel its a love song.

"World Around Me" -Escape The Fate
"I don't wanna be demanding. I just wanna know the reasons why we live and die in a world of lies" Who hasn't questioned that? I mean come on, its a vaild question with no answer. Maybe if it was played in church and discussed someone could come up with a reason.

"Someone's Watching Over Me" -Hilary Duff.
Ok, so this one is actually a religion song, I am almost certain of that, but I love it. Its a beautiful song, and I've loved it since it came out in 2004.

"Who I Am" -Nick Jonas And The Administration
"I want someone to love me, for who I am. I want someone to need me, is that so bad? I wanna break all the madness, but its all I have. I want someone to love me, for who I am." Everyone wants to be loved for who they are, not what they do, or what they're not. It'd be a good song to play because everyone there could relate.

"Savin' Me" -Nickelback.
This one is actually a religious song. I hadn't realized it until my youth group randomly started playing the music video. Its just a pretty song, that's why I like it and feel more church's should play it.

"If Today Was Your Last Day" -Nickelback
I feel this song could really encourage people to do something with their lives, not just waste their days never making a difference. "If today was your last day, and tomorrow was too late, could you say goodbye to yesterday? Would you live each moment like your last, leave old pictures in the past?" Its basically saying, you never know when your time is up, so why live in the past when you could be living now.

"No Matter What" -Papa Roach
"No matter what, I've got your back." It might give people a little hope that they're not alone, that someone will be there eventually.

"Astronaut" -Simple Plan
Everyone has felt alone at some point, and that's what this song is actually all about. "'Cause tonight I feel like an astronaut, sending S.O.S from this tiny box. And I lost all signal when I lifted off, now I'm stuck out here and the world forgot." I had never thought of being alone as being like an astronaut, but it makes sense. I feel like if people heard this, espeically as a group, maybe it'd repair the way people view the world.

"Lost In You" -Three Days Grace
"Somehow I found a way to get lost in you, let me inside, let me get close to you." Its just a beautiful song.

There's more, but I don't have a lot of time left to do this. Basically, I feel that 'church songs' should be heartfelt and actually mean something to everyone. That is why I say concerts are my church. They'll play songs from time to time that will touch the hearts and souls of nearly every person in the room. Its just an incredible thing to me, and sometimes I feel like I'd enjoy church way more if it was all about the music, and if the music wasn't all about praising some unseen Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment