Saturday, March 10, 2012

Random blog #6: Why the Jonas Brothers fandom faded away

 The Jonas Brothers. Everyone knows the name, some people cringe at the name, others smile at the memories. They broke records of Elvis Presley and The Beatles -true legends, and now they're hardly ever mentioned. They used to be on the cover of every magazine in the store, at every award show, and traveled the world.

          I was one of those hardcore fans, to the point people asked me several times if I was related to them. Many fans were obessed with them, and knew everything there was to know right down to their underwear. Now its all about Justin Beiber in the pop world, and I do not get it. Justin Beiber's lyrics go like this:
"Baby, baby, ohhh, baby."
While the Jonas Brothers go like this:
"When you look me in the eyes and tell me that you love me, everything's alright when you're right here by my side. When you look me in the eyes, I catch a glimspe of Heaven. I find my paradise, when you look me in the eyes."

  See it? Can you see it? Not only are they unfairly judged, but they actually are insanely good song writers. Its fine by me if you don't like their voices, but you have to give them credit: They have good lyrics. I'm not writing this blog though to bitch about how their amazing and unfairly judged. I'm actually here to talk about why they faded off.

         I think there's several reasons why their fame faded. They all grew up, they wanted to do new things. Kevin got married in December of 2008, released their 4th album in 2009, went on their World tour, and then Nick announced his side project, Nick Jonas And The Adminstration. Because of him having to tour for that, everything JB got put aside. Then Joe decided to follow in Nick's footsteps and release his solo album. That was when the offical hitaus was announced.

      As for the fans, I think we all got bored. They stopped even talking as much, so it was almost like they didn't exsist. I think we got bored, moved on, and while that was going on, grew up. I personally, I never stopped loving them, I still get excited if I hear the name "Jonas" anywhere, and facts come back to my mind as if they were common knowledge to everyone.

         Years ago, a fansite came up with the term 'Obbessive Jonas Disorder' (OJD), and I still remember that Popstar! Magazine got ahold of this term and listed the symptoms. I thought it was lame, until I read the symptoms and I fit every single one. I forget what they actually were, but it was basically saying if you thought of them constantly, always listened to their music, and knew way too much. Their fans were compared to Beatles fans, by the fact we'd wait for days, and some would pass out with excitment from it.

     I don't think their fanbase is gone, in fact I know its not. I wouldn't doubt the fans to come right back just as strong when their next album comes out. Plus, I know where a lot of their fans went. I've mentioned this before, but I noticed a ton of ex JB fanatics are now BVB fanatics.

     While yeah, sometimes the fandom could be a little over the top, and possibly creepy for the boys, they did it right. All major JB fans were protective of them and other JB fans, as if we were all related, and no matter what they did, we were there supporting them. Some of them were stalkerish, but hey, most bands have at least one fan like this.

  I personally can't seem to give up on them, and others probably haven't either. Hell, I bet me talking so much about them on Music = Life just made a whole lot of them relapse back into an OJD fit. Its ok to admit it, I'm the one sitting here talking about all this and I am listening to them right now.

        Be proud of it still, you don't need to hide it. I hid it for about a year and a half, but I've basically given up on that. I no longer hesitate to mention I like them. They're nothing to be ashamed of, depsite what "society" thinks. They're good role models, great musicians, and they're legends, if you ask me. The name 'Jonas' will go down in history.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this,And you're right, it threw me back right into OJD. I miss them so much and I'm so glad they're making a comeback!

    ReplyDelete